Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Forgetful Me!

Why is it so easy for us sometimes to forget? There are so many things that happen to us that make us think about ourselves in ways that help us grow. And then not a month later we are going on as if nothing ever happened! The book of James in the bible relates it to looking at yourself in the mirror and then turning away and forgetting what you saw.

I have already had the chance to tell the story of my car woes! For almost a month I was without a car and catching rides from friends and church family. It was very inconvenient and frustrating, and I had to relearn the value of the blessing of transportation. Not too long ago (about 6 months later) I was cruising around in my 'new to me' car when all of a sudden the engine stopped! I barely had a chance to coast into a gas station. At that moment images flashed in my mind of me without a car bumming rides, trying to raise money to pay for another car, and I moaned.
After sheepishly glancing at the gas gauge, remembering that I was riding past 'E', I I realized that I had simply run out of gas! I also realized that I could be more thankful for a car that had been working well for me, and had carried me for some time now without any needed repairs. I also remembered the importance of reminders. At that moment when I was at the gas station I was reminded of the blessing of personal transportation.

Reminders don't just have to be about the blessing of personal transportation. They can be about the blessing of people who love us. They can even be about the blessing of a God who loves us. Hopefully as I grow in life I can live remembering to be thankful, and to take advantage of those times when I am reminded to be thankful!

No comments: